Bill Cosby has canceled his two Sunday night performances in Boston because of the weather, but he plans to return soon. In a statement, the comedian said, “I have decided to cancel for your travel safety. No need to worry, I will be back soon to raise the roof with laughter.
The two Boston shows were expected to be met with 200 to 300 protesters outside The Wilbur Theatre, which is nothing new for Cosby. The 77-year-old, who has been accused of sexual assault by over two dozen women, has encountered protests throughout his recent comedy tour. On a January stop in Canada, Cosby was heckled by the audience and met by protesters outside the show. Before canceling the Boston shows, the comedian released a statement saying he still plans to share his “gift” with audiences .
“Dear Fans: GOD has Blessed me with a wonderful gift to share with all of you. For 53 years I have continued to master this gift, which heals the soul and warms hearts. Laughter! I thank you, the theatre staff (Wilbur Theatre), the event organizers and the Boston Community for your continued support and coming to experience family, fun entertainment. Hey, Hey, Hey — I’m Far From Finished.”
Cosby released a similar statement last month before his two Denver shows, saying then that he was “far from finished.” He has also said before that he will continue to share his “gift” of comedy with “the world.”
The theater owner and promoter behind the Boston dates, Bill Blumenreich, said he had tried to cancel Cosby’s shows, but the comedian would only let him cancel seven of the nine that were planned.
“I tried to cancel all the shows,” Blumenreich told the Boston but I had a contract with the guy and, for these two shows, he’s holding me to the contract.” Thanks to the snow, the show has been canceled regardless, at least for now. It’s unknown whether the Boston dates will be rescheduled.
Multiple dates have been canceled on Cosby’s North American tour, but his official website still displays shows scheduled through the end of June!!!