TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Authorities apprehended a man Friday who was suspected in several violent home invasions and sexual assaults overnight in the Tampa area that led to a massive manhunt and the partial lockdown of several schools.
Officials said the man who was involved in an overnight crime spree near the University of South Florida is also a suspect in two earlier home invasions and assaults in Tampa. He was identified at a news conference earlier in the day as 24-year-old Charlie Bates.
Shortly before 1 p.m., Hillsborough County Sheriff’s deputies said in a news release that the suspect was spotted in a vehicle just north of Interstate 4. The suspect had been shot at least once and was taken to a hospital, but his medical condition is unclear. No officers were injured, authorities said.
During the morning news conference, Hillsborough County Sheriff David Gee and Tampa Police Chief…
View original post 283 more words